TOPIC: Transition Programs/Grade Articulation/Welcoming
The following represents a
sample of information to get you started and is not meant to be exhaustive.
See also the Center's Quick Find on Immigrants.
(Note: Clicking on the following
links causes a new window to be opened. To return to this window, close
the newly opened one.)
Center Developed Resources and Tools
Dropouts and the 9th Grade Bulge
Enhancing Summer Learning
Transitions to and from Elementary, Middle, and High School
Getting the School Year Off to a Good Start
Transitioning from Psychiatric Hospitalization to Schools
Resource Aid Packet
Technical Assistance Sampler
Technical Aid Packet
Relevant Publications on the Internet (see also the Center's Quick Find on
- Middle School
- High School
- Summer Learning
- Transition from hospital/residential/day care to school
Related Agencies and Websites
Relevant Publications That Can Be Obtained through Libraries
- A study of student attitudes toward school during the transition from middle school to high school. By T.M. Letrello. (2002). Dissertation Abstracts International Section A: Humanities & Social Sciences, 63(4-A), 1255.
- Achievement Loss Associated With the Transition to Middle School and High School. By Alspaugh, J.W., Sept/Oct 1998. In The Journal of Educational Research, 92 (1), 20-5.
- Assessing the transitions to middle and high school. By B.K. Barber, J.A. Olsen. (2004). Journal of Adolescent Research, 1(19), 3-30.
- Bridging the Transition from Primary to Secondary School. By Howe, A. & Richards, V. (2011). Routledge.
- College and Career Ready: Helping All Students Succeed beyond High School. By Conley, David T. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2010.
- Developing an Effective Transition Program for Students Entering Middle School or High School. By K. M. Cauley, D. Jovanovich. (2006). The Clearing House, 1(80), 15-25.
- Facilitating Student Transitions into Middle School. By Stoffner, M.F. & Williamson, R.D., Mar 2000. In Middle School Journal, 31(4), 47-51.
- Mobility. By W.R. Capps & M.E. Maxwell. (2002). American School Board Journal, 189(5), 26-29.
- Mobility and the Achievement Gap. By H. Skandera & R. Sousa. (2002). Hoover Digest: Research and Opinion on Public Policy, 3, 1-5.
- On the road to nowhere? Young disabled people and transition. By B. Beresford. (2004). Child: Care, Health, and Development, 30(6), 581-587.
- Parental involvement during the transition to high school. By T. Falbo, L. Lein & N.A. Amador. (2001). Journal of Adolescent Research, 16(5), 511-29.
- Parental resources and the transition to junior high. By S.W. Grolnick, O.C. Kurowski, G.K. Dunlap & C. Hevey. (2000). Journal of Research on Adolescence, 10(4), 465-488.
- Patterns of social support in the middle childhood to early adolescent transition: Implications for adjustment. By M. J. Levitt, J. Levitt, G. L. Bustos, N. A. Crooks, J. D. Santos, P. Telan, J. Hodgetts, A. Milevsky. (2005). Social Development, 14(3).
- The Pivotal year: rough transitions can make ninth grade little more than a holding tank for high school. By S. Black. (2004). American School Board Journal, February 2004
- Planning successful transitions from school to adult roles for youth with disabilities. By G. A. King, P. J. Baldwin, M. Currie, J. Evans. (2005). Children's Health Care, 34(3), 191-216
- Postsecondary education and transition for students with learning disabilities, second edition. By L. C. Brinckerhoff, J. M. McGuire, S. F. Shaw. (2002). PRO-ED, Inc., Publishers: Austin, TX.
- Risk factors, protective factors, vulnerability, and resilience: a framework for understanding and supporting the adult transitions of youth with high-incidence disabilities. By C. Murray. (2003). Remedial and Special Education, 24.
- School Personnel's Perceptions of Effective Programs for Working with Mobile Students and Families. By T.A. Fisher, L. Matthews, M.E. Stafford, N. Kathryn & K. Durante. (2002). Elementary School Journal, 102(4), 317-33.
- School Transition as a stressful life event and the role of social competence and social support as protective factors during the transition to junior high school. By C.C. Macintosh. (2000). Dissertation Abstracts International Section A: Humanities & Social Sciences, 61(1-A), 84.
- School Transition from elementary to secondary school: changes in psychological adjustment. By A. Lohaus, C. Ev Elben, J. Ball, J. Klein-Hessling. (2004). Educational Psychology, 24(2), 161-173.
- Student Perceptions of the Transition from Elementary School to High School. By P. Akos. (2002). Professional School Counseling, 5(5), 339-345.
- Supporting the development of emotional intelligence competencies to ease the transition from primary to high school. By P. Qualter, H. E. Whiteley, J. M. Hutchinson, D. J. Pope. (2007). Educational Psychology in Practice, 23(1), 79-95.
- Theories in practice: School-to-work transitions-for-youth with mild disabilities. By L.T. Eisenman. (2003). Exceptionality, 11(2), 89-102.
- The role of peer counseling and support in helping to reduce anxieties around transition from primary to secondary school. By P. Slater, M. McKeown. (2004). Counseling and Psychotherapy Research, 4(1), 72-79.
- The transition from elementary to high school: The pivotal role of mother and child characteristics in explaining trajectories of academic functioning.
S. Duchesne, S. Larose, F. Guay, F. Vitaro, R. Tremblay. (2005). International Journal of Behavioral Development, 29(5), 409-417.
- Transition from school to adult life: Empowering youth through community ownership and accountability. By C. M. Lehman, H. B. Clark, M. Bullis, J. Rinkin, L. A. Castellanos. (2004). Journal of Child and Family Studies, 11(1), 127-141.
- Transition groups for preparing students for middle school. By P. Akos, M. Martin. (2003). The Journal for Specialists in Group Work, 28(2), 139-154.
- Transition options for youth with disabilities: An overview of the programs and policies that affect the transition from school. By D.C. Wittenburg, T. Golden, M. Fishman. (2002). Journal of Vocational Rehabilitation, 17(3), 195-206.
- Urban Adolescents' Transition to Junior High School and Protective Family Transactions. By E. Seidman, L.E. Lambert, A. LaRue, J.L. Aber. (2003). The Journal of Early Adolescence, 2(23), 166-193.
We hope these resources met your needs. If not, feel free to contact us for further assistance.For additional resources related to this topic, use our
search page to find people, organizations, websites and documents. You may also go to our
technical assistance page
for more specific technical assistance requests.
If our website has been helpful, we are pleased and encourage you to use our site or contact our Center in the future. At the same time, you can do your own technical
assistance with "The fine Art of Fishing" which we have developed as an aid for do-it-yourself technical assistance.