<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> National Initiative
for Transforming Student
and Learning Supports
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> Equity of opportunity is fundamental to enabling civil rights;
transforming student and learning supports is fundamental to
enabling equity of opportunity and promoting whole child development.
2016 -- Student and learning supports have long been marginalized in school improvement policy and practice. As a result, such supports are developed in an ad hoc and piecemeal manner. Implementation is fragmented and at times redundant. Those involved often are counterproductively competitive, especially when funding is sparse (and when isn’t it?).
All this needs to change. Yet, most of the widely circulated reports about improving schools pay little or no attention to the role of school student and learning support staff.
And while the passage of the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) offers opportunities, it also continues the piecemeal approach to addressing barriers to learning and teaching and re-engaging disconnected students and families. See our analysis:
ESSA, Equity of Opportunity, and Addressing Barriers to Learning
Starting to plan for ESSA? See the Policy Notes at http://smhp.psych.ucla.edu/pdfdocs/discussequity.pdf
It is time to make the marginalization a major issue.
To these ends, we launched the National Initiative for Transforming Student and Learning Supports in 2015. The aim of this ongoing initiative is to mobilize direct actions for (a) elevating school improvement policy discussion about ending the marginalization of student and learning supports and (b) moving toward transformation of such supports.
Solid groundwork has been laid by our earlier initiative for New Directions for Student and Learning Supports and the work in 2015.
As a basic resource, we have developed a new work entitled: Transforming Student and Learning Supports: Developing a Unified, Comprehensive, and Equitable System. This resource is in press and will be published in early 2017. For a preview look, contact Ltaylor@ucla.edu.
The Center's System Change Toolkit for Transforming Student Supports into a Comprehensive System for Addressing Barriers to Learning and Teaching provides a range of resources designed to stimulate interchange and mobilize transformation. It contains prototypes and guides and more to aid in developing a unified, comprehensive, systemic learning supports component to replace the existing marginalized and fragmented set of student and learning supports in districts and schools..
The tranformation can be done by redeploying existing resources and garnering economies of scale.
The timing is critical as states and districts pursue higher curriculum standards and transition to more local control under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA).
Of particular relevance to addressing barriers to learning and teaching and re-engaging disconnected students, the reauthorization of ESEA replaces what has been described as a maze of programs with a “Student Support and Academic Enrichment Grant” that provides states and districts with flexibility in how students and families are assisted.
During 2016, we have been increasing our Center's support for those pioneering state and district initiatives already implementing learning supports as a third component of school improvement policy, as well as coaching and providing technical assistance for those who indicate a desire to move forward. In addition to the new book, our Center is revising and adding to our online free resources – including professional development activities, powerpoints, and implementation resources.
And, of course, we continue to provide free online technical assistance and coaching on request. See info
Interested?Let us hear your views about direct action to end the marginalization and transform student and learning supports. Also, let us know if you are ready to move forward to develop a Learning Supports Component to better address barriers to learning and teaching and re-engage disconnected students. Send to Ltaylor@ucla.edu or to email@example.com
Where's it Happening?
Press Release Announcing the InitiativeWhat's Happening and Some Ideas for Moving Forward
- 1/13/16 --Summary of First Responses to the Jan. 11 Survey on ESSA and the Additional Accountability Indicator
- 1/19/16 --ESSA: Will Adding a Nonacademic Accountability Indicator Enhance Student and Learning Supports?
- 1/26/16 --ESSA and Equity of Opportunity
- 2/3/16 --We Need a School Board Policy to Address Barriers to Learning and Teaching
- 2/23/16 -- ESSA, Equity of Opportunity, and Addressing Barriers to Learning
- 5/6/16 -- Using ESSA to Transform Student and Learning Supports
- 5/25/16 -- Starting to Plan for ESSA? Have You had a Critical Dialogue About Advancing Equity of Opportunity?
- 6/10/16 -- Piecemeal Policy Advocacy for Improving Schools Amounts to Tinkering and Works Against Fundamental System Transformation
- 7/21/16 -- Supports for Students Deemed At-Risk
- 8/2/16 -- The Case for Making Student/Learning Supports a Primary Component of School Improvement
- 8/17/16 -- A New School Year; Opportunities to Anticipate and Address Problems -- As school starts, are staff waiting to react rather than working to prevent problems?
- 8/24/16 --Preparing for ESSA? -- Start by Reviewing the Analyses of What’s been Wrong with School Improvement Efforts
- 1/21/15 -- Opportunity to focus ESEA reauthorization on transforming student and learning supports
- 1/28/15 -- About the Senate's full committee hearing on Fixing No Child Left Behind: Supporting Teacher and School Leaders (1/27/15)
- 2/3/15 -- About Tuesday's (2/3/15) Senate's Committee Hearing: Innovation
- 2/11/15 -- Building Momentum for Ending the Marginalization of Student and Learning Supports
- 2/18/15 -- Moving Forward NOW!
- 2/25/15 -- The Disconnect Between School Improvement Politics and What Schools Need to Succeed
- 3/25/15 -- About the Personalized learning initiative in New England
- 3/31/15 -- Eight Points to Consider about Why Schools Need To Transform Student and Learning Supports
- 4/6/15 -- Do you know anyone who is not in favor of having high standards for students?
- 4/15/15 -- Test Scores Plateauing? Consider Transforming Student & Learning Supports
- 4/22/15 -- School Improvement: Who’s Mapping and Analyzing Student and Learning Supports?
- 4/28/15 -- Student & Learning Supports: Getting Credit for all that is being done
- 5/4/15 -- You want higher achievement test scores – Transform Student and Learning Supports!
- 5/13/15 -- Rethinking Websites in Conveying School Improvement Efforts
- 5/19/15 -- Trend toward School Funding Formulas that Address Barriers to Equity of Opportunity?
- 5/27/15 -- Is Planning for Transforming Student and Learning Supports on the Summer Agenda?
- 6/3/15 -- 2015 State Teachers of the Year Identify Barriers to Learning & Teaching
- 6/18/15 -- Keeping Public Education Viable
- 6/24/15 -- Equity of Opportunity at School: A Civil Right
- 7/8/15 -- Principals Tell Us Efforts to Address Learning, Behavior, and Emotional Problems are Consuming a Large Portion of the Budget without Returning Enough on the Investment
- 7/22/15 -- Kicking off the School Year with a Sense of Exciting Renewal: Generating Hope, Not Ho Hum
- 8/5/15 -- What we are hearing about transforming student and learning supports...
- 8/19/15 -- Focus on School Adjustment Problems: INVEST NOW . . . OR PAY LATER!
- 8/15/15 -- Relaunching Students & Learning Supports
- 9/1/15 -- Follow-up on Relaunching Students & Learning Supports
- 9/22/15 -- Transformation Requires Unifying – Not just Integrating Student/Learning Supports
- 10/1/15 -- More about Integrating Student and Learning Supports "Integrating Supports, a Useful Step, but Not the Main Point"
- 10/14/15 -- Whole School, Whole Community, Whole Child – The Implementation Problem
- 10/28/15 -- Farmers have a saying: Weighing the Pig, Doesn’t Fatten it.
- 11/10/15 -- Engagaing and Re-engaging Students and Families
- 12/17/15 -- About Expanding School Accountability: Rather than One Additional Measure, Add Real Accountability for Addressing Barriers to Learning and Teaching
- 12/29/15 -- How Will Every Student Succeed? (Blog for Education Post)
- System Change Toolkit for Transforming Student Supports into a Comprehensive System for Addressing Barriers to Learning and Teaching
- Practitioner's Toolbox for Practitioner/Professional Development: Virtual Toolbox for Mental Health in Schools
- Archive for work of the New Directions for Student and Learning Supports Initative
- Archive for work of the District and State Collaborative Network for Developing Comprehensive Systems for Learning Support
CENTER FOR MENTAL HEALTH IN SCHOOLS
UCLA Department of Psychology
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1563
Home Page Search Table of Contents Send email WebMaster: Perry Nelson