TOPIC: Classroom Climate/Culture and School Climate/Culture and Environments that Support Learning
The following represents a sample of information to get you started and is not meant to be exhaustive.
(Note: Clicking on the following links causes a new window to be opened. To return to this window, close the newly opened one).
Center Developed Documents, Resources, and Tools
Continuing Education Module
Guides to Practice
Book (in press)
- Transforming Student and Learning Supports: Developing a Unified, Comprehensive, and Equitable System (For a preview, contact Ltaylor@ucla.edu )
Information Resource & Practice Notes
Quick Training Aids
Resource Aid Packet
Technical Aid Packet
Tools For Practice
Book (in press)
- Transforming Student and Learning Supports: Developing a Unified, Comprehensive, and Equitable System
30 minute Introductory webinar
H.S. Adelman, & L. Taylor (2005).
Classroom Climate in S.W. Lee, P.A. Lowe, & E. Robinson (Eds.), Encyclopedia of School Psychology, Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage
L. Taylor & H.S. Adelman (1999).
Personalizing Classroom Instruction to Account for Motivational and Developmental Differences. Reading & Writing Quarterly, 15(4), 255-276.
School and Community Collaboration to Promote a Safe Learning Environment
The Implementation Guide to Student Learning Supports in the Classroom and Schoolwide
Relevant Documents, Resources, and Tools on the Internet
Standards and Guidelines
Related Agencies and Websites
Relevant Publications That Can Be Obtained Through Libraries
- A School for Each Student: Personalization in a Climate of High Expectations (Paperback) by Nelson Beaudoin (2008). Pub: Eye on Education.
- Building Strong School Cultures: A Guide to Leading Change by Sharon D. Kruse and Karen Seashore Louis (2008). Corwin Press.
- Bullying Prevention: Creating a Positive School Climate And Developing Social Competence by Pamela Orpinas and Arthur M. Horne (2005). American Psychological Association.
- Finding the Heart of Your School: Using School Climate Data to Create a Climate for Learning. By Cohen, J., Shapiro, L, & Fisher, M. (2006). Principal Leadership (The journal of the National Association of Secondary School Principals), Vol. 7(4), 26-32.
- Making your school safe: Strategies to Protect Children and Promote Learning. By Devine, J. & Cohen, J. (2007). New York: Teachers College Press
- The new standards for learning. By Cohen, J. (2010). Principal Leadership, Vol. 10(1), 28-32
- Safe & Caring Schools Grades 6-8: Hundreds of Ways to Improve Academic Success and School Climate by Katia Petersen (2008). Free Spirit Publishing.
- Violence Prevention for Adolescents: A Cognitive-Behavioral Program for Creating a Positive School Climate: Leaders Manual (Paperback) by Diane De Anda (2007). Research Press.
We hope these resources met your needs. If not, feel free to contact us for further assistance. For additional resources related to this topic, use our search page to find people, organizations, websites and documents. You may also go to our technical assistance page for more specific technical assistance requests.
If our website has been helpful, we are pleased and encourage you to use our site or contact our Center in the future. At the same time, you can do your own technical assistance with "The Fine Art of Fishing" which we have developed as an aid for do-it-yourself technical assistance.