TOPIC: Classroom Climate/Culture and School Climate/Culture and Environments that Support Learning
The following represents a sample of information to get you started and is not meant to be exhaustive.
(Note: Clicking on the following links causes a new window to be opened. To return to this window, close the newly opened one).
Center Developed Documents, Resources, and Tools
Quick Training Aids
Resource Aid Packet
Technical Aid Packet
Tools For Practice
Relevant Documents, Resources, and Tools on the Internet
Assess the Environment of a High School or Junior High School Classroom
California Healthy Kids Survey
- Comprehensive School Climate Inventory
Creating a Positive School Climate for Learning
an Effective Physical Classroom Environment
Developing School Connectedness in Diverse Youth through Extracurricular Programming
Differentiating Classroom Climate Concepts: Academic, Management and Emotional Environments
Improving Middle School Climate Through Teacher-Centered Change
Keeping Students Learning: School Climate and Student Support Systems
Measuring and improving school climate: A strategy that recognizes, honors and promotes social, emotional and civic learning The foundation for love, work and engaged citizenry
- Positive School Climate: Students and Staff Relations
- Provide a positive and safe school climate
- A Review of School Climate Research
- Safe School Climate Ambassadors Improve School Climate
- School Climate: Building Safe, Supportive and Engaging Classrooms & Schools.
- The School Climate Challenge
- School Climate Enhancement Through Parental Involvement
- School Climate Matters newsletter
- School Climate Predictors of School Disorder: Results from a National Study of Delinquency Prevention in Schools
- School Climate Reform and Teen Dating Violence
- The School Environment and Adolescent Well-Being: Beyond Academics
- School Size, School Climate, and Student Performance
- Social, emotional, ethical and academic education: Creating a climate for learning, participation in democracy and well-being
- Teachers as Builders of Respectful School Climates: Implications for Adolescent Drug Use Norms and Depressive Symptoms in High School
- What is School Climate and Why is it Important?
Standards and Guidelines
Related Agencies and Websites
Relevant Publications That Can Be Obtained Through Libraries
- A School for Each Student: Personalization in a Climate of High Expectations (Paperback) by Nelson Beaudoin (2008). Pub: Eye on Education.
- Building Strong School Cultures: A Guide to Leading Change by Sharon D. Kruse and Karen Seashore Louis (2008). Corwin Press.
- Bullying Prevention: Creating a Positive School Climate And Developing Social Competence by Pamela Orpinas and Arthur M. Horne (2005). American Psychological Association.
- Finding the Heart of Your School: Using School Climate Data to Create a Climate for Learning. By Cohen, J., Shapiro, L, & Fisher, M. (2006). Principal Leadership (The journal of the National Association of Secondary School Principals), Vol. 7(4), 26-32.
- Making your school safe: Strategies to Protect Children and Promote Learning. By Devine, J. & Cohen, J. (2007). New York: Teachers College Press
- The new standards for learning. By Cohen, J. (2010). Principal Leadership, Vol. 10(1), 28-32
- Safe & Caring Schools Grades 6-8: Hundreds of Ways to Improve Academic Success and School Climate by Katia Petersen (2008). Free Spirit Publishing.
- Violence Prevention for Adolescents: A Cognitive-Behavioral Program for Creating a Positive School Climate: Leaders Manual (Paperback) by Diane De Anda (2007). Research Press.
We hope these resources met your needs. If not, feel free to contact us for further assistance. For additional resources related to this topic, use our search page to find people, organizations, websites and documents. You may also go to our technical assistance page for more specific technical assistance requests.
If our website has been helpful, we are pleased and encourage you to use our site or contact our Center in the future. At the same time, you can do your own technical assistance with "The Fine Art of Fishing" which we have developed as an aid for do-it-yourself technical assistance.