TOPIC: Youth Development
The following represents a
sample of information to get you started and is not meant to be exhaustive.
(Note: Clicking on the following
links causes a new window to be opened. To return to this window, close
the newly opened one.)
Center Developed Resources and Tools
Featured Articles in Center Newsletter/journal
Policy & Program Reports & Briefs
Quick Training Aids
Technical Assistance Sampler
Young Adult Advisors
Other Relevant Documents, Resources, and Tools on the Internet
Related Agencies and Websites
Relevant Publications That Can Be Obtained through Libraries
Youth as Leaders
- Adolescents' implicit theories of maturity
- Critical Issue: Using Prevention Principles to Develop Comprehensive Services
- Emerging adulthood: age-related tasks and underlying self processes
- 2007 Fact Sheet on Unintentional Injury: Adolescents & Young Adults
- The evolving capacities of the child, (UNICEF)
- The Federal Grants Manual for Youth Programs: A Guide to Youth Risk Behavior Prevention Funding
- Funding for Youth Services
- The impact of youth development programs on student achievement
- Investing in children, youth, families, and communities: strengths-based research and practice
- Kids as Self Advocates: over 60 tipsheets and guides written for youth, by youth!
- Meaningful student involvement ~Includes resources for systemic school change as well as community organizing
- National Center for Learning and Citizenship: Schools of Success Network Shows that Service-Learning Quality Matters
- Pathways to getting ahead (2003) L. Beeferman, et al.
- Positive Youth Development in the United States: Research Findings on Evaluations of Positive Youth Development Programs
- "Positive Youth Development in the US: Research Findings on Evaluations of Positive Youth Development Programs" (2004) R. Catalano, L. Berglund, J. Ryan, H. Lonczak, and JD Hawkins
- Promoting Positive Youth Development: THEORETICAL AND EMPIRICAL BASES
Richard M. Lerner (2005)
- Reflect and Improve: A tool kit for engaging youth and adults as partners in program evaluation
- The Role of Purposeful Work Goals in Promoting Meaning in Life and in Schoolwork During Adolescence (2009) D. Yeaver & M. Bundick. Journal of Adolescent Research 24(4) 423-452
- Teen Risk-Taking: Promising Prevention Programs and Approaches
- Urban Parks as partners in youth development
- U.S. Department of Labor: Summer Jobs for Youth
- Youth Empowerment and Participation in Mental Health Care (Summer 2009 issue of Focal Point)
- Youth Indicators, 2005: Trends in the well-being of American youth
- Youth Outcomes Measurement Tools Directory
- Youth Participation in Public Policy
- Adolescents as agents in the promotion of their positive development: The role of youth actions in effective programs. By Lerner, Richard M.; Barton, Catherine E. In: Walter J. Perrig, Ed; Alexander Grob, Ed; et al. (2000). In: Control of human behavior, mental processes, and consciousness: Essays in honor of the 60th birthday of August Flammer. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Community Programs to Promote Youth Development. By Jacquelynne Eccles and Jennifer Appleton Gootman. (2002). National Academy Press: Washington, D.C.
- Community Youth Development: Programs, Policies, and Practices. By Francisco A. Villarruel, Daniel Francis Perkins, Lynne M. Borden, and Joanne G. Keith. (2003). Sage Publications, Inc.
- How do adolescents view health? Implications for state health policy. Ott MA, Rosenberger JG, McBride KR, Woodcox SG. 2010. Journal of Adolescent Health. Abstract available at http://www.jahonline.org/article/S1054-139X%2810%2900369-1/abstract.
- Inner-city youth development organizations: Strengthening programs for adolescent girls. By Hirsch, Barton J.; Roffman, Jennifer G.; Deutsch, Nancy L.; Flynn, Cathy A.; Loder, Tondra L.; Pagano, Maria E. (2000). Journal of Early Adolescence. 20 (2): p. 210-230.
- New Frontiers for Youth Development in the Twenty-First Century. By Melvin Delgado. (2002). Columbia University Press: New York.
- Pathways to Positive Development Among Diverse Youth: New Directions for Youth Development, No. 95. By Richard M. Lerner, Carl S. Taylor, and Alexander von Eye. (2002). Jossey-Bass.
- Positive Youth Development. Lerner, R. & Lerner, J. (2011). Academic Press.
- Toward a psychology of positive youth development. By Larson, Reed W. (2000). American Psychologist. 55 (1): p. 170-183.
- Understanding Youth: Adolescent Development for Educators. By Michael J. Nakkula and Eric Toshalis. (2006). Harvard Education Press.
- The Youth Development Handbook: Coming of Age in American Communities. By Stephen F. Hamilton and Mary Agnes Hamilton. (Hardcover - Oct 16, 2003). Sage Publications, Inc.
We hope these resources
met your needs. If not, feel free to contact us for further assistance.For
additional resources related to this topic, use our search
page to find people, organizations, websites and documents. You may
also go to our technical
assistance page for more specific technical assistance requests.
If our website has been helpful, we are pleased and
encourage you to use our site or contact our Center in the future.
At the same time, you can do your own technical assistance with "The
fine Art of Fishing" which we have developed as an aid for do-it-yourself