TOPIC: Suicide Prevention
The following represents a
sample of information to get you started and is not meant to be exhaustive.
(Note: Clicking on the following
links causes a new window to be opened. To return to this window, close
the newly opened one.)
Center Developed Documents, Resources, and Tools
Other Relevant Documents, Resources, and Tools on the Internet
Center Policy Issues Analysis Brief
Presentation and Training Aid
Quick Training Aids
Resource Aid Packet
Technical Aid Packets
Technical Assistance Samplers
The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline. Also can be accessed by calling 1-800-273-TALK (8255). The Lifeline is a toll-free suicide prevention hotline that provides free and confidential crisis counseling to anyone in need 24/7.
Youth suicide and self-Harm Prevention: 2017 Resource Guide
- A Measure of Adolescent Potential for Suicide (MAPS): Development and Preliminary Findings
Suicide Risk in a Pediatric Emergency Department: Development of a Brief
- Feasibility of Screening Adolescents for Suicide Risk in "Real-World" High School Settings
- Facts and Warning Signs for Suicidal Thoughts in Children
- Preventing youth suicide in rural America (2008) Suicide Prevention Resource Center and State and Territorial Injury Prevention Directors Association
- SAMHSA, Ad Council, and Inspire USA Foundation launch National Suicide Prevention Campaign for Teens
- School Screening Programs (CDC)
- Screening for Mental Health: Depression
Depression and Danger Signs for Suicide
Other (including Research Findings)
Childhood Abuse, Household Dysfunction, and the Risk of Attempted Suicide Throughout the Life Span: Findings from the Adverse Childhood Experiences Study
Cyberbullying and suicide: a research summary.- A Cyberbullying Research Center Report, 2010
- General Suicide Education (CDC)
- Guide to Engaging the Media in Suicide Prevention- An SPRC publication, 2008
Suicide Contagious? A Study of the Relation between Exposure to the Suicidal
Behavior of Others and Nearly Lethal Suicide Attempts (PDF Document, 71K)
Major Depressive Episode and Treatment Among Adolescents: 2009- A SAMHSA Report
Model School District Policy on Sucicide Prevention
Media Contagion and Suicide among the Young
- National Council for Suicide Prevention
Pediatric suicide-related presentations: A systematic review of mental health care in the emergency department
- Prevent Temporal
Variations in School-Associated Violent Deaths (PDF Document, 131K)
Reporting on Suicide: Recommendations for the Media
- Risk and Protective Factors for Suicide
The Role of High School Mental Health Provders in Preventing Suicide
- School Gatekeeper Training (CDC)
- SOS-Handbook for Survivors of Suicide
- Suicidal People on the Internet: A University of Queensland (Australia) Study, 2009
Suicide and Bullying: An SPRC Issue Brief, 2011
"Suicide" query prompts Google to offer hotline: A New York Times article, 2010
- Suicide survivor resources
Suicide Contagion and the Reporting of Suicide (Center for Disease Control)
- Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System (YRBBS)
Youth Suicide Prevention, Intervention, and Postvention Guidelines: A Resource for School Personnel
- Youth Suicide Prevention Program (YSPP)
- Youth Suicide Prevention School-Based Guide
Related Agencies and Websites
Relevant Publications That Can Be Obtained Throughout Libraries
- Developing a comprehensive school suicide prevention program.
(2001). K.A. King. Journal of School Health, 71, 132-137.
- International Handbook of Suicide Prevention: Research, Policy and Practice. O'Connor, R.C., Platt, S., & Gordon, J. (2011). Wiley.
- School-based suicide prevention program. (2008). Deborah Kimokeo.
- Suicide prevention in the schools: Guidelines for middle and high school settings. (2008). David Capuzzi.
American Counseling Association.
We hope these resources
met your needs. If not, feel free to contact us for further assistance.For
additional resources related to this topic, use our
page to find people, organizations, websites and documents. You may
also go to our technical
assistance page for more specific technical assistance requests.
If our website has been helpful, we are pleased and
encourage you to use our site or contact our Center in the future.
At the same time, you can do your own technical assistance with
fine Art of Fishing" which we have developed as an aid for do-it-yourself