TOPIC: Substance Abuse Prevention and Intervention
The following represents a sample of information to get you started and is not meant to be exhaustive.
(Note: Clicking on the following links causes a new window to be opened. To return to this window, close
the newly opened one.)
Center Developed Documents, Resources, and Tools
Relevant Documents, Resources, and Tools on the Internet
Continuing Education Module
Policy and Practice Reports
Resource Aid Packets
Technical Assistance Sampler
- Alcohol, drug, and mental health specialty treatment services and race/ethnicity: a national study of children and families involved with children welfare (2006) A. Libby, et al, American Journal of Public Health, 96(4) 628-631.
- Exposure to Substance Use Prevention Messages and Substance Use Among Adolescents, 2002 to 2007
- Misuse of over the counter cough and cold medications among persons aged 12 to 25
- Nine elements of effective alcohol treatment for adolescents
- Prescription Drugs: Abuse and Addiction
- Serious mental illness and its co-occurrence with substance use disorders, 2002 (2004) J. Epstein, et al, DHHS Publications No. SMA 04-3905, Analytic Series A-24, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Office of Applied Students
- Substance Abuse Treatment Need Among Adolescents: 2003-2004. (2006)
- Trends in Substance use, Dependence or Abuse and Treatment Among Adolescents: 2002-2007 (SAMHSA)
Principles of Adolescent Substance Use Disorder Treatment: A Research-Based
- 2010 Monitoring the Future Survey: Teen marijuana use increases as does ecstasy use and continued high levels of prescription drug abuse.
- Adolescent Treatment Admissions, 1992-2002, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services
- Comparing Drug Testing and Self Report of Drug Use Among Youths and Young Adults in the General Population
- Facilities Providing Substance Abuse Treatment in Languages Other than English
- Illicit drug use by race/ethnicity in metropolitan and non-metropolitan counties: 2004 and 2005
- Integration of Mental Health/Substance Abuse and Primary care (2008) Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
- Latest National Survey on Drug Use & Health (SAMHSA)
- Monitoring the Future national survey results on adolescent drug use
- Monitoring the Future national survey results on adolescent drug use, 1975-2008
- Monthly Variation in substance Use Initiation Among Adolescents
- National Survey on Drug Use & Health
- National Survey on Drug Use & Health Report: Patterns and trends in inhalant use by adolescent males and females, 2002-2005
- NIDA High School Curriculum-The Brain: Understanding Neurobiology through the study of addiction.
- Parent Awareness of Youth Use of Cigarettes, Alcohol, and Marijuana
- Quantity and frequency of alcohol use among underage drinkers (2008) National Survey on Drug Use and Health, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Service Administration
- Report to Congress on the Prevention and Reduction of Underage Drinking
- State Estimates of Substance Use from the 2005-2006 National Surveys on Drug Use and Health (from SAMHSA)
- Study Reports Reduced Substance Abuse Among High Risk Youth
- The Co-Occurring Center for Excellence (COCE) (SAMHSA)
- Trends in Substance Use, Dependence or Abuse, and Treatment among Adolescents: 2002 to 2007
- 2007 Fact Sheet: Substance Abuse-Adolescents and Young Adults (NAHIC)
- A Day in the Life of American Adolescents - Substance Use Facts
- Alcohol Dependence or Abuse and Age at First Use
- Children's beliefs about substance use: An examination of age differences in implicit and explicit cognitive precursors of substance use initiation. (2007) R. O'Conner, et al., Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 21(4)525-533
- Criminal neglect: Substance Abuse, Juvenile Justice and the children left behind
- Definitions and terms relating to co-occurring disorders
- Depression and the Initiation of Alcohol and Other Drug Use among Youths Aged 12 to 17 (from the National Survey on Drug Use and health)
- Heads Up, materials for middle and high school students from NIDA and Scholastic
- Helping Child Welfare Workers Support Families With Substance Use, Mental, and Co-Occurring Disorders
- NIDA InfoFacts: Inhalants
- Media Awareness: A School Guide
- Monitoring the Future: 1975-2008 Trends
- Monitoring the Future: 2010 Trends
- Monitoring the Future Survey, Overview of Findings 2011
- Multi-language Resources on Substance Abuse Treatment Materials
- National Institute on Drug Abuse
- National Institute on Drug Abuse website for teens
- National Survey of American Attitudes on Substance Abuse XII: Teens and Parents. (2007) The National Center of Addiction and Substance Abuse
- National Survey of American Attitudes on Substance Abuse XVII: Teen, 2012
- National Survey on Drug Use & Health
- Nonmedical Use of Adderall Among Full-Time College Students
- Protecting Children in Families Affected by Substance Use Disorders
- Socioeconomic Status, Depressive
Symptoms, and Adolescent Substance Use
- Who is this kid? To help parents grasp teen behavior and connect with their kids (2008)
Related Agencies and Websites
Relevant Publications That Can Be Obtained Through Libraries
-Focused on Substance Abuse
- What Adults Need to Know about Kids and Substance Use: Dealing with Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs. By Sadler, K. (2011). Search Institute Press.
- Preventing substance abuse among African American children and youth: Race differences in risk factor exposure and vulnerability. Wallace, J. M., Jr., & Muroff, J. R. (2002). The Journal of Primary Prevention 22(3), 235-261.
- Are risk and protective factors for substance use consistent across historical time?: National data from the high school classes of 1976 through 1997. Brown, T. N., Schulenberg, J., Bachman, J.G., O'Malley, P.M., & Johnston, L.D. (2001). Prevention Science 2(1), 29-43.
- Editors' introduction: Prevention as altering the course of development and the complementary purposes of developmental and prevention sciences. Maggs, J.L. & Schulenberg, J. (2001). Applied Developmental Science, 5(4), 196-200
- The problem of college drinking: Insights from a developmental perspective. Schulenberg, J., Maggs, J.L., Long, S.W., Sher, K.J., Gotham, H.J., Baer, J.S., Kivlahan, D.R., Marlatt, G.A., & Zucker, R.A. (2001). Alcoholism, Clinical and Experimental Research, 25, 473-477.
- Adolescent marijuana use and adult occupational attainment: A longitudinal study from age 18 to 28. Schuster, C., O'Malley, P.M., Bachman, J.G., Johnston, L.D., & Schulenberg, J. (2001). Substance Use & Misuse 36(8), 997-1014.
- Understanding the links among school misbehavior, academic achievement, and cigarette use: A national panel study of adolescents. Bryant, A. L., Schulenberg, J., Bachman, J. G., O'Malley, P. M., & Johnston, L. D. (2000). Prevention Science 1(2), 71-87
- The decline of substance use in young adulthood: Changes in social activities, roles, and beliefs. Bachman, J.G., O'Malley, P.M., Schulenberg, J.E., Johnston, L.D., Bryant, A.L., & Merline, A.C. (2002). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- The Monitoring the Future National survey results on adolescent drug use: Overview of key findings, 2001 (NIH Publication No. 02-5105). Johnston, L.D., O'Malley, P.M., & Bachman, J.G. (2002). Bethesda, MD: National Institute on Drug Abuse, c. 61 pp.
- Adolescents' Reactions to Universal and Indicated Prevention Programs for Depression: Perceived Stigma and COnsumer Satisfaction. Rapee, R.M., Wignall, A., Sheffield, J., Kowalenko, N., Davis, A., McLoone, J., & Spence, S.H. (2006).Prevention Science 7:2 167 CrossRef
- Development matters: Taking the long view on substance abuse etiology and intervention during adolescence. In P.M. Monti, S.M. Colby, & T.A. O'Leary (Eds.), Schulenberg, J., Maggs, J.L., Steinman, K., & Zucker, R.A. (2001). Adolescents, alcohol, and substance abuse: Reaching teens through brief intervention (pp. 19-57). New York: Guilford Press.
- Evidence-Based Psychosocial Treatments for Adolescent Substance Abuse. Barrett, H.B., & Turner, C.W. (2008). Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology 37(1), 238-261
We hope these resources
met your needs. If not, feel free to contact us for further assistance.For
additional resources related to this topic, use our search
page to find people, organizations, websites and documents. You may
also go to our technical
assistance page for more specific technical assistance requests.
If our website has been helpful, we are pleased and
encourage you to use our site or contact our Center in the future.
At the same time, you can do your own technical assistance with "The
fine Art of Fishing" which we have developed as an aid for do-it-yourself