TOPIC: Staffing Student Support Services: New Directions
The following represents a
sample of information to get you started and is not meant to be exhaustive.
(Note: Clicking on the following
links causes a new window to be opened. To return to this window, close
the newly opened one.)
Center Developed Documents, Resources, and Tools
Relevant Documents, Resources, and Tools on the Internet
Related Agencies and Websites
Relevant Publications That Can Be Obtained Through Libraries
Fact & Info Sheets and Guidance Notes
Continuing Education Module
Center Policy & Program Analysis Briefs and Notes
Guides to Practices
Resource Aid Packets
Quick Training Aids
Adelman, H.S. (1996). Restructuring Education Support Services: Toward the Concept of an Enabling Component. Kent, OH: American School Health Association. (Reprint available from our Center).
- Adelman, H.S. & Taylor, L.(2002). Building Comprehensive, Multifaceted, and Integrated Approaches to Addressing Barriers to Student Learning. Childhood Education, 78(5), 261-268
- Adelman, H.S. & Taylor, L.(2002). Impediments to Enhancing Availability of Mental Health Services in Schools: Fragmentation, Overspecialization, Counterproductive Competition, and Marginalization. Paper commissioned by the National Association of School Psychologists and the ERIC Clearinghouse on Counseling and Student Services (ERIC/CASS). Published by the ERIC/CASS Clearinghouse.
- Adelman, H.S. & Taylor, L. (1998). Mental Health in Schools: Moving Forward. School Psychology Review, 27(2), 175-190.
- Adelman, H.S. & Taylor, L.(1997). Restructuring education support services and integrating community resources: Beyond the full service school model. School Psychology Review, 25, 431-445
- Adelman, H.S., Taylor, L., Bradley, B. & Lewis, K.D.(1997). Mental Health in Schools: Expanded Opportunities for School Nurses. Journal of School Nursing, 13(3), 6-12.
- Rosenblum, DiCecco, Taylor, & Adelman (1995). Upgrading School Support Programs through Collaboration: Resource Coordinating Teams. In: Social Work in Education, 17, 117-124
- Adelman, H.S. & Taylor, L. (1999). Involving Teachers in Collaborative Efforts to Better Address Barriers to Student LearningPreventing School Failure, 42, 55-60
- Adelman, H.S., & Taylor, L. (2002). School Counselors and School Reform: New Directions. Professional School Counseling, 5, 235-248.
- Adelman, H.S., & Taylor, L. (2006). Want to Work With Schools? What is Involved in Successful Linkages? The School Services Sourcebook: A Guide for Social Workers, Counselors, and Mental Health Professionals, Oxford University Press
- Best Practices for Effective Secondary School Counselors. Shelton, Carla F.; James, Edward L. (2004).
- Cases in School-Based Consultation: A Resource for School Psychologists, School Conselors, Special Educators, and Other Mental Health Professionals Crothers, Laura (2008).
- Ethics and Law for School Psychologists. Jacob, Susan; Hartshome, Timothy S. (2006).
- Group Counseling in K-12 Schools: A Handbook for School Counselors. Greenberg, Kenneth R.(2002).
- Handbook of Education, Training and Supervision of School Psychologists in School and Community, Volume II: Bridging the Training and Practice Gap: Building Collaborative University/Field Practices. Kaufman, Judith (2009).
- Individualized Healthcare Plans for the School Nurse: Concepts, Framework, Issues and Applications for School Nursing Practice Silkworth, Cynthia K. (2005).
- Legal Issues in School Health Services: A Resource for School Administrators, School Attorneys, School Nurses Schwab, Nadine C.; Gelfman, Mary H. (2005).
Mental Health, Health, and Education Staff Working Together in Schools. Weist, Mark D.; Proescher, Eric; Prodente, Christine; Ambrose, Melissa G.; Waxman, Robyn P. Child & Adolescent Psychiatric Clinics of North America. WB Saunders Co: US, 2001 Jan. 10 (1): p. 33-43.
- The Reflective School Counselor's Guide to Practitioner Research: Skills and Strategies for Successful Inquiry. Brooks-McNamara, Vicki; Torres, Danielle (2007).
- The School Counseling and School Social Work Treatment Planner (Practice Planners). Knapp, Sarah Edison; Jongsma Jr., Auther E. (2006).
- School Counselor Accountability: A Measure of Student Success (2nd Edition). Stone, Carolyn B.; Dahir, Carol A (2006).
The School Leader's Guide to Student Learning Supports: New Directions for Addressing Barriers to Learning. Adelman, Howard S.; Taylor, Linda (2005).
School Psychologists as Health-Care Providers in the 21st Century: Conceptual Framework, Professional Identity, and Professional Practice. Nastasi, Bonnie K. School Psychology Review. National Assn of School Psychologists: US, 2000. 29 (4): p.540-554.
- School Psychology for the 21st Century: Foundations and Practices. Merrell W. Kenneth; Ervin, Ruth A.; Gimpel, Gretchen (2006).
- School Social Works: Skills and Interventions for Effective Practice. Dupper, David (2002).
- A Survival Kit for the Special Teacher (J-B Ed: Survival Guides). Pierangelo, Roger (2002).
- Social Work in Schools: Principles and Practice (Social Work Practice with Children and Families). Openshaw, Linda (2007).
- The Transformed School Counselor. Stone, Carolyn Bishop; Dahir, Carol A. (2005)
We hope these resources
met your needs. If not, feel free to contact us for further assistance.For
additional resources related to this topic, use our search
page to find people, organizations, websites and documents. You may
also go to our technical
assistance page for more specific technical assistance requests.
If our website has been helpful, we are pleased and
encourage you to use our site or contact our Center in the future.
At the same time, you can do your own technical assistance with "The
fine Art of Fishing" which we have developed as an aid for do-it-yourself